Vice President, Finance & Chief Financial Officer
255 Carter Hall Lane
Millwood, Virginia, 22646
Project HOPE, a growing global not-for-profit organization is currently seeking a Vice President, Finance & Chief Financial Officer to serve as a key member of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT).
Reporting to the CEO, Project HOPE’s Vice President and Chief Financial will provide oversight and strategic direction over all Finance, and Accounting functions. S/he will work closely with the CEO, and the President and the SLT in establishing systems and organizational structure to support the overall vision and strategic direction of the organization. The CFO will support the CEO in assessing and identifying operational strategies, performance metrics and financial opportunities to execute against a newly adopted and strongly growth-oriented organizational Vision and Mission.
The CFO will maintain focus on the market, working with the CEO to ensure that Project HOPE remains responsive to the changing market conditions, including financial challenges and opportunities that may be on the horizon. This forward-leaning individual will also assure the financial viability of the organization through proactive analysis and sound administration of policies and procedures.
The Chief Financial Officer plans, directs and controls all fiscal activities. He/she coordinates the development of organization budgets and on-going forecasts. The individual will maintain and enhance appropriate accounting systems throughout the organization. The Chief Financial Officer directs activities of risk management and purchasing through a strong team of professionals. The CFO is enabling the organization’s ability to work in over 30 countries in an effective and efficient manner, while creating platforms that create opportunities to scale the organization.
Position located in Millwood, VA.
Providing strategic support to achieve organizational goals:
• Generate high quality financial statements and forward-looking supporting financial analysis to facilitate organizational transformation in alignment with the strategic plan.
• Produce ideas to boost organizational ability to scale dramatically, while maintaining existing viability.
• Develop and maintain strong teams to ensure strong execution against organizational goals.
• Design, propose and implement a set of financial metrics that link to the strategic plan to allow for effective monitoring of financial achievements against long-term and annual operating targets.
Ensuring financial discipline in decision making:
• Lead the continued improvement of the current financial planning and management tools and the capital and operating planning, budgeting and reporting processes both domestically and internationally.
• Oversee and evaluate the way in which investment decisions are made.
• Evaluate the effectiveness of the organization’s performance versus its mission, financial and risk objectives and “Best Practices” of high performing for profit and not for profit entities.
Optimizing the financial and systems performance of the organization:
• Support the President, CEO and Board of Directors, as they achieve performance improvement guided by appropriate financial metrics.
• Work with the Finance Committee to maximize the returns of the investment within acceptable risk parameters.
• Integrate financial discipline in the planning, operation and evaluation of all Project HOPE initiatives.
Establishing a strong and reliable control environment to meet the changing needs of corporate governance:
• Support the CEO, the President and Senior Leadership Team in maintaining a strong governance structure including a positive and inspirational Tone at the Top which is strongly aligned with HOPE values.
• Ensure global financial controls are up-to-date and meet changing audit and/or funder requirements.
• Maintain a proactive and clearly communicated and globally understood compliance program.
• In collaboration with the EVP and the CAO, establish global training to ensure grant compliance and other compliance matters are well-understood and followed.
Building effective working relationships with key leaders and staff:
• Earn the trust and respect of the CEO, the President and the Senior Leadership Team.
• Develop effective and mutually supportive relationships with the Board of Directors.
• Embrace the Project HOPE culture and harness its strengths for positive change.
• Develop and mentor the financial staff and expand the depth and competency of the Finance organization.
• Bachelor’s degree in a related field
• Deep financial leadership experience, including 15+ years of financial management in a complex, global enterprise preferably in a non-profit organization.
• Experience managing organizational budgets of $75M+
• Prior experience with strategic planning responsibilities, contract negotiations and labor and capital management in international development environments.
• Advanced degree in finance or a related field highly desired
• CPA or CFA designation preferred
• Knowledge of and experience with domestic and international regulatory issues and non-profit operations
• Experience in US and Non-US Government contracting environment
• Excellent judgment, analytical, and decision-making skills
• Integrity and an unwavering commitment to the highest degree of personal and professional ethical standards
• Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to interact and engage with a broad and diverse audience
• Demonstrated creative problem solving abilities
• A consultative, advisory leadership style with the ability to constructively challenge assumptions
• Excellent interpersonal communications skills with a natural inclination to keep key constituents informed while maintaining confidentiality as appropriate.
• Demonstrated ability to handle pressure, tension, ambiguity, changing priorities, and multiple viewpoints in a manner consistent with Project HOPE’s core values.
• Commitment to the mission of Project HOPE
About Project HOPE
Project HOPE is a global not-for-profit organization that provides solutions to the world’s most pressing health crises through innovative global health and disaster/health crises programs. Project HOPE also publishes, Health Affairs, the nation’s leading journal of health policy thought and research.
Project HOPE’s mission is to enable health care workers to have the greatest positive impact on the health of the people they serve. Founded in 1958, Project HOPE continues to be a leader in global health development and emergency relief programs. An international nonprofit organization, we save lives and improve health, especially among women and children. We accomplish our mission by improving the knowledge, abilities and tools of the health workforce to deliver high quality health services to communities in need. With programs around the globe, we work at the epicenter of today’s greatest health challenges including infectious and chronic diseases, disasters and health crises, maternal, neonatal and child health and the policies that impact how health care is delivered.
Visit our website to learn more: http://www.projecthope.org/