255 Carter Hall Lane
Millwood, Virginia, 22646
Project HOPE, a growing global not-for-profit organization is currently seeking a Vice President, Chief Development and Communications Officer to serve as a key member of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT).
S/he will be responsible for overseeing all private fundraising and all communication activities for the Foundation. Reporting to the President, s/he serves as a key advisor to the President, CEO and the Vice Presidents and leads a team of colleagues throughout the organization to develop and maintain Project HOPE’s visibility with a worldwide network of donors and opinion leaders in order to implement and expand the programs of the organization.
In addition to leading the Project HOPE Development and Communications team, the VP works closely with the CEO, the President and the SLT to establish fundraising and communications strategies and activities to support the overall vision and strategic direction of the organization. S/he also achieves private fundraising targets through providing his/her expertise and perspective to design and develop effective approaches and campaigns. This team focuses on Corporate and Foundation fundraising, Individual Fundraising (including Leadership Giving, Legacy Giving and Direct Response), Communications, and other approaches, including Special Events. The organizational Branding activities and special Campaigns are other areas of responsibilities. As the head of this team, the VP for Development and Communications will play a key leadership role and serve as the organization’s leader for these critical programs.
The VP participates in both the strategic planning process and the annual budget process to establish revenue and Foundation goals. One of his/her key responsibilities will be to create thought-leadership opportunities for Project HOPE through media coverage, speaking engagements, and formal presentations. The VP brings the vision of HOPE to life by using creative fundraising approaches, advancement of available technologies and leading-edge philanthropic thinking.
S/he works through a team of employees as well as a group of reputable vendors to achieve the established goals and objectives of the organization. S/he can expect to spend between 20-25% percent of his/her time in local and international travel, including hardship countries, in order to represent the organization, develop the organization into cohesive teams, and to execute its strategic vision.
The VP seeks to inform him/herself about the compliance environment of the job and leads by example as a leader to ensure compliance is top of mind in all dealings. S/he ensure all activities for self and others on the team are in alignment with applicable laws, rules and policies.
Position located in Millwood, VA.
With a strategic vision that both focuses and deepens Project HOPE’s programmatic focus, increases philanthropic priorities, and implements a new operating model, the Vice President will be joining the organization at a critical phase in its expansion. These opportunities and priorities include the following:
Strategic Goal Setting and Implementation:
• The Vice President works with the President and the Board to create and articulate a comprehensive development strategy to include specific focus on Leadership Giving, Corporations and Foundations and Direct Response.
• S/he will establish clear goals and implementation strategies, for both short and long term. The Vice President will be a dynamic contributor of ideas and strategies focusing on the development of major donors and will work with the senior leadership team to determine a proactive, entrepreneurial and innovative approach for sustainable philanthropic funding.
• As a creative force, the VP will establish broad strategies to utilize digital strategies, social media, and newest methodologies and research to enhance HOPE’s ability to explore new sources of funding.
• Using HOPE’s strong relationships, s/he leverages public, private partnerships to establish communities of collaboration to achieve maximum impact.
Broadening and Enhancing Philanthropic Support:
• The Vice President will develop and lead a systematic communication, identification and cultivation process for donors at all levels, including major donors, corporations, and foundations.
• S/he will work with staff to create meaningful ways to broaden the organization’s support, increase visibility and reach new prospective donors.
• Using new technologies, enterprising and inventive strategies, the VP will inspire a dynamic and result-oriented team to reach the fundraising objectives.
• S/he will also serve as a major gifts fundraiser who, together with the CEO and the President, will build and maintain strong relationships with Project HOPE most significant donors.
• The Vice President will collaborate with the senior leadership team, the CEO and the President, and the Board of Directors to develop and advance strategic plans to achieve the organization’s fundraising and communications goals.
• The Vice President will assess staffing levels and requirements as well as develop and mentor existing staff in order to continue building a world-class development and communications team.
Communicating Compelling Messages:
• The Vice President will work with the CEO, the President, Board of Directors, and staff with the Development and Communications team to develop a compelling brand delivered through clear and targeted communication plans to effectively brand the organization and reinforce overall messaging in regards to Project HOPE.
• Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree preferred
• 15+ years’ experience leading teams of development and communications professionals within a nonprofit organization
• Proven track record of success in cultivating and soliciting funding with an overall revenue run rate of $30M plus annually
• Significant experiences in achieving a net income of $10+ M in unrestricted revenue
• International development experience with a non-profit organization is highly desired
• Proven ability to manage marketing and/or communications functions
• Demonstrated strong leadership and interpersonal skills
• Ability to drive innovation and creativity in thinking
• Have an entrepreneurial mind-set and a strong sense of curiosity to question status quo and bring about positive change
• Demonstrated success in developing long-lasting relationships with donors, peer organizations, and media
• Experience utilizing technology to further the philanthropic goals of an organization (including online fundraising and social media)
• Demonstrated success in leading fundraising campaigns
• Experience with a range of philanthropic vehicles (i.e., major gifts, corporations, and foundations, direct mail, planned giving, special events, and/or Gifts in Kind)
• Demonstrated ability to lead multi-cultural, international teams
• Knowledge of marketplace (including donors and competitors)
• Excellent judgment, analytical, and decision-making skills
• Integrity and an unwavering commitment to the highest degree of personal and professional ethical standards
• Outstanding interpersonal skills and the ability to interact and engage with a broad and diverse audience
• Demonstrated creative problem solving abilities
• A consultative, advisory leadership style with the ability to constructively challenge assumptions
• Excellent interpersonal communications skills with a natural inclination to keep key constituents informed while maintaining confidentiality as appropriate.
• Demonstrated ability to handle pressure, tension, ambiguity, changing priorities, and multiple viewpoints in a manner consistent with Project HOPE’s core values.
• Commitment to the mission of Project HOPE
About Project HOPE
Project HOPE is a global not-for-profit organization that provides solutions to the world’s most pressing health crises through innovative global health and disaster/health crises programs. Project HOPE also publishes, Health Affairs, the nation’s leading journal of health policy thought and research.
Project HOPE’s mission is to enable health care workers to have the greatest positive impact on the health of the people they serve. Founded in 1958, Project HOPE continues to be a leader in global health development and emergency relief programs. An international nonprofit organization, we save lives and improve health, especially among women and children. We accomplish our mission by improving the knowledge, abilities and tools of the health workforce to deliver high quality health services to communities in need. With programs around the globe, we work at the epicenter of today’s greatest health challenges including infectious and chronic diseases, disasters and health crises, maternal, neonatal and child health and the policies that impact how health care is delivered.
Visit our website to learn more: http://www.projecthope.org/