Health Technical Director - Puerto Rico
Project HOPE is looking for a Health Technical Director to oversee quality control of medical and health programs, manage teams of volunteer practitioners, and liaise with local and national health authorities in Puerto Rico.
This position functions as the leading technical expert for the medical and health programs and provides leadership, strategic direction, and technical guidance throughout the institution.
The Health Technical Director will ensure Project HOPE is represented in a positive and professional manner by ensuring that health-related relief activities are conducted in accordance with minimum accepted standards and compliant with local laws and regulations.
1. Leads development and delivery of relief-based activities Of the emergency response team. Is responsible for overall technical quality for health programming, including water, sanitation, hygiene and mental health related components,.
2. Responsible for conducting ongoing rapid needs assessments of affected areas and advising Team Leader about potential interventions that prioritize mitigating life threatening public health threats.
3. Serve as primary contact with department of health and other government and non-governmental health actors, ensuring proper representation of Project HOPE in country and effective coordination with the broader health sector.
4. Directly manages Project HOPE technical team members, including medical volunteers and staff. Provides orientation, technical guidance, and supportive supervision to all Project HOPE clinical practitioners.
5. Provides technical direction and leadership for major program reports to ensure quality and technical soundness, including PH reports, survey reports, and donor reports.
6. Assist field programs to link with contractors, consultants, funders, local and international PVOs/NGOs, and relevant organizations to form partnerships and increase learning, thereby enhancing the quality and scope of their activities.
• Medical Doctor and Master in Public Health strongly preferred
• At least eight years’ experience in international medical/health programs, including direct implementation of humanitarian relief projects in a post-disaster context, with demonstrated experience as resource person for program monitoring in the area of medical/health while focusing on community level programs where beneficiaries are linked to available health services and health education.
• Bilingual (Spanish and English)
• Excellent verbal communication skills
• Strong organizational skills and ability to delegate tasks effectively
• Ability to perform physical labor, occasionally strenuous
• Ability to multitask
• Ability to take initiative and be self-motivated
• High regard for safety
• Valid and current Driver’s license
Location: Puerto Rico
Requires Immediate Availability
Duration: 3-6 months
About Project HOPE
Project HOPE is a global not-for-profit organization that provides solutions to the world’s most pressing health crises through innovative global health and disaster/health crises programs. Project HOPE also publishes, Health Affairs, the nation’s leading journal of health policy thought and research.
Project HOPE’s mission is to enable health care workers to have the greatest positive impact on the health of the people they serve. Founded in 1958, Project HOPE continues to be a leader in global health development and emergency relief programs. An international nonprofit organization, we save lives and improve health, especially among women and children. We accomplish our mission by improving the knowledge, abilities and tools of the health workforce to deliver high quality health services to communities in need. With programs around the globe, we work at the epicenter of today’s greatest health challenges including infectious and chronic diseases, disasters and health crises, maternal, neonatal and child health and the policies that impact how health care is delivered.
Visit our website to learn more: http://www.projecthope.org/